Brainstorming my Game (#2)

What is the scope?


First of all, I need to decide how large of a game I want to create. This should be based on hour long i have to work on it.
I only have 3 months roughly to work on it if you take in to account how much time I will need to acclimatise to this new engine and blueprints.
This game needs to be small, within the boundaries of the first person template. I also need it to show certain mechanics, to be precise, gun mechanics. I need to create a gun model and somehow implement it in to my game. The game needs to be at least 3-5 minutes of gameplay and come with all the bells and whistles when it comes to menus and UI in general.

What should the concept be?


Secondly, I need to decide what the game should be like, what should it be inspired by. How will the basic core of the game look like.
I recently watched the Maze Runner movies. It's made me want to create a fast paced maze running game. So i will put in lot's of walls where the player can move through and make their way to the centre (Or to the other side?). 

Detailing the concept and creating depth.


Lastly is the most interesting part of game creation in terms of design. We get to dive in to the nit and gritty part of the details. We need to include our gun somehow in to this concept. I believe using the gun as a tool to move through the walls is how i will include it. I believe the player should shoot projectiles in to the walls and this will cause the walls to turn transparent or disappear for a certain amount of time and the player will then be able to walk through the walls. This means I will need to mark which walls are shoot-able. 
We also need a way for the player to lose. The core overarching mechanics needed for game design is a way to lose and a way to win. To lose i believe their should be a time limit on how long you can stay in each room, thus creating a fast paced maze runner. It will mean they will have to make fast decisions on how to proceed through the maze, thus making it harder to keep a mental map in your head and add to the map.
We need a way for the player to win. This is a necessity for being able to call it a game and not a story. I believe making the win point the centre of the maze will not allow enough time to pass to hit the required game length. I will make it so you need to get to the other side to win.
And finally I need to add something to create a bit more depth. I think I will add a torch and have the torch run out and you will need to pick up batteries off the floor to continue using the torch. It means i will have to create a dark environment, hopefully meaning it throws the player off more and makes it more challenging to make your way across.

These are my initial thoughts and when I have more ideas or want to change ideas I will create a new blogpost to update on my design.

Comments